In The Pits Forum Board

This is a forum board constructed for race fans to chat about racing in the area.
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 5:54 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: May 10th, 2014, 6:58 pm 

On Friday, 9 of the 12 heat race winners came from the front row, and all of the main event winners came from the first two rows. The biggest snooze fest was either the Grand National heat when they put last years point champion on the pole, or the A-mod heat win they put last weeks main event winner on the pole.

For many years, I have come on this board and proclaimed myself a Lakeside Homer. It was always Lakeside on Friday night and I will see about other tracks/activities on Saturday. However, I really don't consider myself a Lakeside homer anymore. It is not a guarantee that I will be at Lakeside every Friday night. The track has lost a lot of its magic. It is no longer a must see.

BTW. Not a fan of the 30 minute intermissions. We can go back to the 15 minute timed intermission at any time. Do you remember when they would actually announce the start time of the A mains when they went to intermission.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 6:07 pm 

In responce to you question jonr, they draw for the heat races. Now for the feature it is an invert,
its passing points for the roll of the dice for the feature. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: May 11th, 2014, 7:13 pm 

Last Friday, the invert was three. Thus, the car with the most passing points started inside of the second row, the second place car stayed in the same position, and the car with the third most points started on the pole. This is why I was careful to state that the winner came from the front two rows.

The absolute best that the invert is going to do is to invert the top six positions. If they must kept this crappy system, how about making the dice represent a row of cars to invert instead of a position.

Like I have said numerous times, Lakeside is a front gate track. The track needs to make sure that it is doing all that it can to put on a good show for the fans. Watching the points leader check out on a heat race because he started on the front row was an absolute bore.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2014, 5:10 pm 

Hey. I can give my two cents. The point structure was changed to passing points after the season started. I'm not a fan of changing the the point structure again ,well into the season. Changing stuff after points have been collected is not a good idea in my humble opinion. It pisses drivers off. So let's see how this deal continues to work and get it set in stone at the beginning of the season.jonr I was dead last in my heat a week ago cuase I drew like 89 if I remember right.

PostPosted: May 12th, 2014, 6:51 pm 

Passing points is a much better system for the racers. The old system only rewarded poor performance of the competition of the previous week. Every night of racing should begin with each competitor having an equal chance to start the feature based on their qualifying results for that evening, not last week.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 10:44 am 
Site Admin

The new system rewards anyone on any given night. Sure it's great for the racers and what racer doesn't want to start closer to the front?

The old system didn't just reward poor performance. It rewarded the drivers that showed up to their track each and every week. Something that I think every track should do. It's your weekly racers that make your track what it is. In this day and age of poor car counts, every track needs all the cars that they can get. On the business side of things you need the cars 12 thru 24 just as much as you need the top 11.

I enjoyed the way they used to do the lineups because you knew what it was going to be. You saw drivers work through the field to get to the front. It provided the best weekly racing, consistantly, in my opinion and it was a system that rewarded the drivers that were there week in and week out. When they had big money races it meant that whoever thought they were going to cherry pick and take the money, would have to come in and do it from the 7th row or further back in the main event.

Lakeside Speedway can do what they want it's their choice to make.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2014, 7:23 pm 

Jr you make very valid points. I understand both sides of the deal very well. My only point is you keep goin back and forth it becomes a yo yo! Changing rules and point structures after a season starts isn't very cool. Just sayin. Set it in stone and leave it one way or the other. Not upset just seeing both sides of the conversation.

PostPosted: May 15th, 2014, 5:01 am 

I don't know that the qualifying procedure was the culprit. Other than a couple of drivers everyone pretty much finished where they started in the mains so it only makes since the winners started at the front.
I wish they still ran the stocks first, that usually was the race of the night every week.
As far as heats I would rather see hem line them up by points average and invert the top 6. Vegas style heats can ruin a drivers night before he unloads and you would see good balanced racing in the heats instead of loaded ones and weak ones

PostPosted: May 15th, 2014, 7:44 pm 

I also like the points that JR makes. Drivers 11 - 24 are just as important to the track as the front runners. The invert also provides hope. If driver 11-24 and can start up front and the points leader is five rows back, maybe he can get a big enough lead to hold him off and win. If driver 11-24, gets some wins it keeps him coming back. If driver 11-24 is always getting beat down, it quits being fun. When it quits being fun, the car count drops.

PostPosted: May 17th, 2014, 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

You are right Gary I dont think they should change it again now. I just liked the old system and I am trying to point out my reasons why.

Thanks,

Jr.