In The Pits Forum Board

This is a forum board constructed for race fans to chat about racing in the area.
It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lakeside Open Items
PostPosted: March 9th, 2015, 7:19 pm 

On the front page, there was a good article about the changes coming to Lakeside. There were several items that were left out that I hope the new ownership/management team will address.

- Lakeside has been a model for years of running a very tight show. I hope that it continues. Racing starting promptly at 7:30. Plenty of tow trucks at the track. A timed intermission. All of these things seem small, but when you are accustomed to a 10 minute intermission, a 25 minute intermission will only aggravate the fans.

- Track prep. Nobody likes going to a dust storm. If you have to choose between a track that is too heavy or one that is too dusty, always choose too eliminate the dust. I think that this is one of the reasons that the crowds were down last year. The track consistently was on the dusty side last year.

- Line ups. Please bring back any type of invert. Use the NASCAR invert that the track used for years. Use the IMCA invert. If you want, create your own invert. Having the fast cars start on the pole of their heat just to start on the pole of the main and run away from everyone on the first lap is absolutely no fun.

I have been saying this for years, but Lakeside is truly one of the only front gate tracks in this area. If they want to be successful, they need to work on things to keep people coming to the front gate. Poorly run shows, sitting in a dust storm, and watching the pole position driver run away from the field are good ways to drive fans away.

Post subject: Re: Lakeside Open Items
PostPosted: March 11th, 2015, 7:11 am 

All good points and you are right those are the things that made Lakeside what it used to be. I think with the staff in place you will see it return to that format. It will be more racing oriented and less side shows, no bands this year.

Post subject: Re: Lakeside Open Items
PostPosted: March 11th, 2015, 8:58 am 

I hope they move the factory stocks back to the 1st class up since they have the least technical suspension.
When they use to water the track and they ran them 1st you used to see some of the best multigroove racing anywhere on a half mile.
The last few years it has been miserable sitting in the stands because the way the track is the dust swirls up off the front stretch into the stands sometimes making it impossible to watch turns 3 and 4 without a face mask and goggles.

If they dust up the track for the USAC show you will see a bunch of pissed off racers and fans. You have to remember they can't buy side bite and forward bite like other classes can.

I would like to see a USAC style invert using say points average