In The Pits Forum Board

This is a forum board constructed for race fans to chat about racing in the area.
It is currently November 21st, 2017, 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: July 20th, 2015, 8:08 am 

Hello,

We almost lost one of our own last week. My brother, Roy Oliver, from White City, KS raced for many years. Although we are a budget team, we made many friends along the way. I know we are not well known by everyone in the racing community, but we are a part of it. We love to race! Although a Kansas native, he started drag racing back in the late 80's down in Georgia. When his family returned to Kansas, he started dirt racing in Salina in the 90's. When Salina closed, we raced at Whiskey Lake until it closed. About this point I was starting to build a stock car. I was a rookie and I was more of a tinkerer than a driver, so I asked Roy to drive when we started racing at HPT. We raced several years until we lost the car last year.

Wednesday my brother was found on the couch sluggish and confused. His wife works nights, so there was no one around until that morning. He had a can beside the couch indicating that at some point he was nauseous and maybe vomited. He was confused when asked questions. He was taken to Morris County Hospital in Council Grove. His blood pressure was low. They decided to send him to Topeka for further analysis/treatment when his blood pressure crashed. He was then medevac'd to Stormont Vail where he was induced into a coma and they started treatment. He went to the brink and balanced on the edge for about 24 hrs. He plateaued and began slowly to stabilize.

The hospital asked the infectious disease doctor to take a look as he has access to the CDC. He suspects Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever RMSF. He is not out of the woods yet as he is still in ICU, but he is alert. Due to the blood pressure medicine, he may loose the tip of his nose and parts of his right hand.

My point in posting is this is to bring to racers attention about ticks. RMSF is an infection that once it gets to a certain point the survival rate lowers to 25%. It is very important to catch early as that is the best time the infection responds to the antibiotics. When finding ticks, most of use just shrug it off and throw the lil bastard away. From this experience, I will never do that again. It is recommended to save any ticks that has embedded in the skin for at least a week. The tick does not have to be alive. If a person becomes ill after a few days of a tick bite, take the tick with you to the doctor's office.

Thank you in advance for all well wishes! God Bless and take care...

PostPosted: July 20th, 2015, 4:12 pm 

Hey Steve,Tell Roy we are thinking of him.And to get well soon.You guys and family are great people.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2015, 5:22 pm 

Thanks, Lance. I will be sure to pass that along.

Update: Today the ventilator tube came out and my brother talked to me. I did not realize I was holding my breath this long. Still need his kidney's to respond, then the whole family will breathe a sigh of relief.

12b wrote:
Hey Steve,Tell Roy we are thinking of him.And to get well soon.You guys and family are great people.

PostPosted: July 25th, 2015, 1:05 pm 

I send my heart felt prayers and wishes that you brother makes a full recovery! I have had many tick bites in the years gone by, and your suggestion to keep the tick when pulled off is a very good idea, JUST IN CASE.

Once again I pray that Roy heals up and is back on his feet again very soon!

God Bless!

Drake

PostPosted: July 25th, 2015, 11:39 pm 

Thank you, Drake.

Update: He is out of ICU and in an Intermediate Care Unit. Not out of the woods as his kidneys have not responded. He continues dialysis with the hope that function returns soon. He will be going for surgery to remove dead flesh, but doctor's are hoping he will keep all his parts. Worse case is he will lose the fingertips on his right hand and skin off other extremities. The fact that he wrenched a lot made the circulation to his right hand worse, so it did not recover as well as the rest of him has to this point.

racin78p wrote:
I send my heart felt prayers and wishes that you brother makes a full recovery! I have had many tick bites in the years gone by, and your suggestion to keep the tick when pulled off is a very good idea, JUST IN CASE.

Once again I pray that Roy heals up and is back on his feet again very soon!

God Bless!

Drake

Post subject: UPDATE
PostPosted: August 19th, 2015, 1:00 pm 

My brother is home, but has a long road ahead. If everything goes well, he will get back in a racecar!

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2015, 11:03 am 

Good News! With determination, a stiff upper lip, hip-hip cheerie o' and all that rot he will be tearing up a race track again soon. And if all goes well with Heartland Park and the potential new owner from Minnesota Roy may be running at Heartland again?!? Best wishes and prayers to Roy. Keep the faith!

Race on.

8-)