In The Pits Forum Board

This is a forum board constructed for race fans to chat about racing in the area.
It is currently November 18th, 2017, 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 8:30 am 

11.5. Cast iron OEM heads only, no double hump, angle plug or Vortec Heads. No screw in
studs Or guide plates allowed. No Porting, polishing, bowl cutting, milling or altering hey carl i thought you was mistaken we are running rules that are written then 83 is illegal exceptions to the rules shouldnt be tolerated for anyone period

PostPosted: August 10th, 2014, 4:38 pm 

Can't speak for carl, but at one time there was a stud to replace the press-in stud if it should pull out. No machining required, other than to thread the hole.

PostPosted: August 12th, 2014, 4:32 pm 

Not taking a side on either or deal but those studs is still a screw in studs that several guys use when the screw in stud is not supposed to be used. I had a set several years ago but Ive also ran heads with pinned studs turned up around 6500 and never had a issue. Id hate to have Carls job that is for sure

PostPosted: August 13th, 2014, 3:53 am 

i agree but if you take the job of enforcer of the rules enforce all the rules posted 1 hp is all it takes to win i want a fair shot at winning i built my car by the rules as written period i have heads that have studs and could have used but rules stated no then i get to see others running them and asked carl directly and he said they have always ben legal to come home and find that i read it right the first time he creates his own problems ....fairness is all we ask for the best shot at a win is to first be legal.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2014, 10:09 am 

Were screw in studs legal last year? Is it possible that it is part of the transitional rules until next year when they fully implement USRA rules?

PostPosted: August 13th, 2014, 9:29 pm 

Talking about a pure stock or a factory? I don't want to step out of line on a track Ive never been to but pure stock I don't believe a screw in stud of any kind has been allowed at Humboldt or HPT the factory stocks I hope they are still legal with the USRA deal or Im screwed when I do get my junk back going lol. I also agree with you if there is a rule book it should be followed to a t no matter what it is but I can understand letting a guy slide if its something not way out there. Again Im not trying to say anything is right or wrong honestly don't know the situation just mainly talking about those shoulder less screw in studs still being a screw in stud imo. Hope every body gets stuff straightened out,good luck.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 7:47 am 

pure we lost a 53t to thunder hill last season cause he would pass tech then a dq with the same setup now there legal again it seems it depends who you are track politics suck being a tech guy you cant make friends but enemys are easy i dont wish this job on anyone but dam if you take the job enforce the rules so everyone has the same shot at winning this is why hpt car count keeps dwindling is tech i mean dam its wrote out in black and white no alterations no screw in studs in the rules yet i ask carl to his face and he said they have always ben legal why did 53t not pass why dont i have screw in studs simple rules state no screw in studs or alterations he used the rule to dq and then lies to my face and says always ben legal if its always ben why is the rule in writing and since it says you cant you shouldnt be able to we built a brand new car under the rules written to not even be competitve i run a hobby stock motor in my b mod and i know its underpowered i am still competitive so it aint the track or my lack of skill which both still are not perfect im no pro just an average joe tryn to get a fair shake i dont like putting all this on this page but ive already asked the tech carl flowers who lied to my face its in writing like i wouldt go look it up so i can make sure in bold writting on the top the page of rules it says if in theses rules it dont say you can do it then you cannot....well it says no

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 9:40 am 

It is possible Carl did not lie if the following circumstances are met and the car identifies HPT 2013 rule set.

Please remember that each car needs to state which rule package is being used for 2014. If using screw in studs and screw in studs were allowed in the 2013 rules, the car has to display a HPT 2013 sticker or notification for the tech team. If the car does not have this notificaiton, it is detemined to follow 2014 USRA rules meaning screw in studs are not allowed. Cars cannot pick and chose between the two different rule sets. Next year, there will be no confusion as HPT will be fully sanctioned USRA track.

The question comes down to whether or not screw in studs were legal at HPT in 2013 and the car(s) in question have the HPT 2013 notification.

For factory stock there were at least 2 main exception for a car using HPT 2013 rules:

2013 allowed, 2014 did not regardless of rule set:

Engine set back (engine had to be moved to stock location)
Enclosed cockpit (aluminium had to be removed and firewall and rear wall had to be covered)

I think there was one more, but I cannot remember it off the top of my head.

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 2:12 pm 

pure stock ollie they have never ben legal anywere under any rules this aint a mistake its plain out illegal in writing last or this year

PostPosted: August 14th, 2014, 5:07 pm 

Just for clarification. The 53t has never been DQD for being illegal at any track .We left HPT because of all the cars that where found illegal week after week .And someone would
let them slide over and over

Scott Garst