In The Pits Forum Board

This is a forum board constructed for race fans to chat about racing in the area.
It is currently November 23rd, 2017, 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: October 14th, 2014, 7:42 am 

There were over 3,500 signatures (needed just over 2,000) and thus the issue is put to a vote. Comments range from support for the vote to condemning the track to obscurity.

Petition Succeeds

PostPosted: October 16th, 2014, 10:41 am 

http://cjonline.com/news/2014-10-15/pol ... t-petition

PostPosted: February 25th, 2015, 6:23 pm 

I have been living in Topeka for some time now. Before recently I read with moderate interest what was going on with Heartland Park. Now I get more and more interested in the racing park and the city. I don't get some of the stuff going on - I am thinking that a bunch of politics and a FEW people looking out for their own monetary interests (disguised as city business?) are starting to become very apparent. After much thought about it all, all I do is sigh and think that a great racing facility is not being used by anyone, and if the latest news posted is any indication, no one will be using the facility anytime soon. I also believe that the city of Topeka has NO business owning a business. Probably never should have gotten into that bed to begin with,...

Well, maybe we should FIRE everybody and start over.

Good luck to the racers who frequented Heartland on a weekly basis and wherever you decide to run this year. I will miss seeing you all racing there. At least for now!

Race on.

:idea:

Also, nice try Jr,... You and Fuzz would have been great track operators again! :D

PostPosted: February 26th, 2015, 8:56 am 

This was shady to begin with. Even if everyone sanctioned the city owning the property and leasing it to a managing company, this transaction still smells to high hell.

For instance, what business sense does it make to pay a company that has failed unless it was a bailout. However, this isn't even a bailout as the company, Jawhawk, will walk away with a profit. The current way it is structured would be like you buying my car for 5k more than what is owed AND paying off the loan on top of the amount you paid me. It would make much more business sense to let Jayhawk fail, let the bank foreclose, then buy it from the bank. The ONLY thing I can think that prompted the offer to Jayhawk was the city trying to preserve a national sporting event in the capital as this even will surely locate to another venue. However, this doesn't make any sense if anyone had done any research into the event. The last 5 years the attendance has been very bleak.

This is only an impartial view from the outside. I have no knowledge or suspicion of any funny business between the company owner and the city government.